Registration system about foreigners changed

From July 9, 2012 (Heisei 24)
System of registration about foreign inhabitants changed


With the revised Immigration Control Law and the revised Basic Resident Registration Act being enforced on July 9, 2012 (Heisei 24), current Alien Registration Act is abolished, and the Basic Resident Registration Act is applied like Japanese about foreign inhabitants.


 ●Main change

1. Resident's card is made to foreign inhabitants.

Like Japanese inhabitants, resident's card is made about foreign inhabitants. In addition, resident's card which all the households were listed in in plural nationality households consisting of Japanese and foreigner is made. 


   [target person making resident's card]

 Sightseeing purposes which has address in foreigner to reside in lawfully more than three months except transients

※Actually, person that change of residence status is not done during person who does not send to city hall even if we move, residence period of certificate of alien registration, please do appointed procedure immediately at city hall and Immigration Bureau as resident's card may not be made.


2. "Residence card" or "special permanent resident certificate" is issued in substitution for "certificate of alien registration".

At the time of the first reshuffling after the Alien Registration Act abolition, as for the medium-and-long term residents such as "permanent resident" or "Japanese spouse", special permanent resident is replaced by "special permanent resident certificate" to "residence card". As for the grant procedure of "residence card", Immigration Bureau, grant procedure of "special permanent resident certificate" are city halls.

"Certificate of alien registration" is effective after the Alien Registration Act abolition for a certain period of time. It is not necessary to change immediately.

※Validity varies according to residence status and age. For more details, please confirm in Ministry of Justice homepage and information center described below.


3. Report method to city hall and Immigration Bureau changes.

[report about address]

When we change address in past Regestration for foreigners system, procedure in municipality of transference place was not necessary, but we bring notification of change of residence and moving "residence card" for all the people or "special permanent resident certificate" (in the case of before reshuffling "certificate of alien registration") in municipality of transference ahead and will do notice of the change of address after doing notice of the change of address like Japanese in new system in municipality of transference place, and having received grant of notification of change of residence.


[reports such as changes of residence status]

After having received permission at Immigration Bureau, it was necessary to tell city hall, but it is only procedure at Immigration Bureau after the enforcement of new system, and procedures such as change of residence status or update of residence period less have to do report to city hall.

For more details, please refer to the next homepages.

[about the revised Immigration Control Law]

●Ministry of Justice homepage (residence card) (special permanent resident certificate)


●Foreign residence synthesis information center

TEL: 0570, 013.904 (weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.)

※It is TEL from IP telephone, PHS, foreign countries: 03, 5796.7112


[about the revised Basic Resident Registration Act]

●Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications homepage


●Foreign Basic Resident Register system telephone consultation counter (foreign resident registry call center)

TEL: 0570, 066.630

※It is TEL from IP telephone, PHS, foreign countries: 03, 6301.1337

※Weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. until March 29, 2013. But Saturdays, Sundays and holidays and from December 29 to January 3 are excluded.

Contact information

General affairs Department Community Service Division

Citizen's information group
Report reception desk group
Proof issuance group
Phone number 072-870-4011 fax 072-870-9602
〒The first floor of 574-8555 1-1-1, Tanigawa, Daitou-shi, Osaka city hall central government office
Inquiry by email form

Update day: February 7, 2017